Thursday 1 January 2015

More Mufflers Wanted

From the Manchester Courier, 1st January 1915.


LADY FRENCH APPEALS FOR MUFFLERS.

Lady French writes:  “Will you permit me through the medium of your columns to make another appeal on behalf of our troops at the front.  Mufflers are still urgently needed, and I have been asked by the authorities at the War Office to collect another 50,000 to send out in the shortest possible time.

“The response to my former appeals has been most generous, and I desire to take this opportunity of publicly thanking the many kind donors.  May I once more ask for gifts of mufflers or money to purchase them with to be sent to me at 39, Berkeley Square, W., which house has been kindly lent for the purpose by Mr. and Mrs. Almeric Paget.”

[Lady French, the wife of Sir John French, commander of the British Expeditionary Force in France, had made an earlier appeal for mufflers in October 1914.

Almeric Paget had a colourful career, according to Wikipedia, including setting up the Almeric Paget (Military) Massage Corps at the start of the war. His wife was Pauline Payne Whitney, an American heiress.]

No comments:

Post a Comment