Thursday 9 October 2014

Sleeping Helmets for the Territorials

from the Colne Valley Guardian, 9th October 1914

PRESENTS FOR THE COLNE VALLEY TERRIERS

In acknowledging receipt of a parcel of clothing, Captain Wilkinson, of the Marsden Company, writes to Miss France, secretary of the Marsden Church Needlework Society, from the camp at Riby:--
Dear Miss France, -- Many thanks for your letter of the 21st September.  The parcel came to hand this a.m., but I have not opened it yet.  Will you please accept my very best thanks, also the thanks of my brother officers in the Marsden Company for your kindness, and will you please convey our thanks to the ladies of the Marsden Needlework Society for their kindness.  These presents are much appreciated, I can assure you, and care will be taken in giving same out.  I may say that anything you send will be appreciated.  If I may suggest, would it be too much trouble to knit Balaclava helmets (to pull over the head) – about 120?  I am sure these would be useful, especially if we remain under canvas, and if I tell you there was a white frost this a.m. you may imagine it is not too warm during the night.  I have submitted your letter for perusal to the Commanding Officer and he wishes me to add his thanks.  All the Marsden men are fit, you will be glad to hear, and a very large number have volunteered for foreign service, along with all the officers.  Please excuse pencil, but I am writing in the field.  I can assure you we have very little spare time. – Yours faithfully,

SAM WILKINSON
Capt., O/c “D” Co. 7th Batt. W.R.R. [7th Battalion West Riding Regiment - the Territorial battalion from the Colne Valley]

Needless to say, the Church Needlework Society are complying with Captain Wilkinson’s requests and are very busy making more warm flannel shirts besides the sleeping helmets he asks for.  The younger ladies at the Church have taken up the helmet-making splendidly, and it is hoped that the required quantity will soon be forthcoming.  Money contributions will be gratefully accepted by Miss France or Mrs. Jim Shaw.

Ad for Ladyship Wools, October 1914.

No comments:

Post a Comment