Sunday 4 October 2015

Fearnought Gloves for the Navy

From the Manchester Evening News, 4th October 1915.

FEARNOUGHT GLOVES FOR THE NAVY.


Sir,—Last year I made an appeal for glove made of "Fearnought" cloth for the destroyers' crews, or money to buy the same, and I beg to repeat that appeal for the coming winter.  Over 5,000 pairs were sent last year, but more than double that quantity will be required for this winter.

A well-known local firm has arranged to stock the material. and I will gladly forward a paper pattern with full particulars of how to make the gloves to anyone who will send me a stamped addressed envelope, and I will gratefully acknowledge any cash subscriptions for the purchase of material which I can arrange have made up.

Rear Admiral Hon. H. Hood writes: "The gloves were most welcome last winter.  They were one of the most popular things sent, and will, I feel sure, be welcome again. "
Vice-Admiral Bann also says: "There is no doubt these gloves add greatly to the comfort of the men and are much appreciated by them."

(Mrs.) L. LOCKHART.

Gatley Hill, Cheadle.

[There were several appeals for Fearnought gloves in the 1914/15 winter - see here.]  

No comments:

Post a Comment