Wednesday 29 April 2015

National Egg Collection

From the Cleckheaton Advertiser and Spen Valley Times, April 29th 1915. 

THE NATIONAL EGG COLLECTION FOR OUR WOUNDED SOLDIERS.

To the Editor.
Sir, -- Will you kindly allow me a small space in your valuable paper to call the attention of the inhabitants of Heckmondwike and district to the above noble object, and to inform them that at the invitation of the originator I have decided to do all I can to assist in the collection of new laid eggs for the brave fellows who may have the misfortune to get wounded whilst serving their country.
Therefore I appeal to all who can to help in the grand cause and if they will forward eggs to me (no matter how small the number) I will undertake to find boxes, pack them, and transmit them free of charge, or if anyone prefer I can supply them with printed label so that they can transmit their own gifts.  May I take this opportunity of thanking all who have kindly contributed up to date, which enabled me to despatch 1200 on Tuesday last and another 100 on Wednesday.  I intend to despatch 100 at a time as they come to hand.  The total number of eggs received up to April 17th at the Central Depot was upwards of 1,500,000, which have been distributed to the various hospitals.  Eggs can also be left at Mr. H. Preston’s, newsagent, Market Place, where I shall call and receive them.  Thanking you in anticipation, yours truly.

L.TIMSON
10, Kilpin Hill.
April 27th, 1915.

Images of paper flag badges in support of the National Egg Collection (Imperial War Museum)  


2 comments:

  1. I don't comment every time, but I am enjoying reading these fascinating extracts which you're posting.

    I do wonder how people were able to safely forward eggs to the writer, who would then find boxes for them to send them on their way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helena

      Pleased to hear you're enjoying the blog posts. I've no idea how they managed to collect so many eggs safely, but it seems to have been a successful scheme.

      Delete