Friday 6 April 2018

Woman’s Weekly price increase

From Woman’s Weekly, April 6th 1918.

THIS IS A PERSONAL QUESTION FOR YOU. 


MY DEAR READERS,—
NEXT week our little book will cost 2d. Fresh paper restrictions make it absolutely necessary that the price shall be raised, and I am very sad at the necessity.

But I have found consolation in this thought: Even though the price of WOMAN'S WEEKLY is increased another halfpenny, the articles inside help our readers to save dozens of halfpennies all the year round.

I am quite sure that our little hints about making things for your personal use and for about the house must have suggested economies to many mothers and daughters.

And where else can readers get such a regular supply of pretty crochet patterns?  No, I am not going to be down-hearted. I feel perfectly certain that you will all agree that our little WOMAN'S WEEKLY earns its keep.

“What about all those readers who have obtained some war employment through reading our articles,” I say to myself, “and those who write and tell me what a boon they have found our gardening advice?”

And next I have a valuable new feature in store for you.  For years Florence Stacpoole has written a page of advice on health matters in “Mother and Home,” and now that our little sister paper is being suspended until the end of the war you will find her helpful advice in WOMAN'S WEEKLY each Tuesday.  There are hundreds of women in these days who are facing life entirely alone, and many of them hold a little child in their arms.  These are the women who will find a real friend in Florence Stacpoole.  Her advice will save them many doctor's bills.

So to-day, as a personal favour, I ask all my readers and friends, if you think that 2d. seems a lot of money for our paper, just to say to yourself:
“What has WOMAN'S WEEKLY done for me since I began taking it?”

I think, in your heart of hearts, you will all feel that the little book has helped you at some time or other.  Maybe there was a time when a little message in our pages brightened your dark hour.  If so, I am well repaid.

I don’t want to lose touch with one of you; for so many years there has been a bond of friendship between us.  So I ask you, every one, to stand by me, now and always. With best wishes,
Your sincere friend, 
THE EDITRESS.

[Paper shortages and increases in cost meant that other magazines and newspapers also increased their prices during the war.  For instance,  the cover price of Fancy Needlework Illustrated had increased from 1d to 2d from the September 1917 issue, due to the increase in the cost of paper.  The price of The Lady's World Fancy Work Book increased from 3d to 4d in April 1917, and again to 6d in April 1918.]

No comments:

Post a Comment