Sunday 7 January 2018

Wool required for Sock Knitters

From The Times, January 7th 1918.

KNITTERS FOR THE ARMY.


TO THE EDITOR OF THE TIMES.
Sir,----Will you allow me through your paper to thank most sincerely those who so generously responded to my appeal for funds to provide wool for my knitters who are making socks for our soldiers?  We have sent out 800 pairs since last August and have over 400 still to go out, but I have no more wool left now, and socks are ever more and more urgently needed.  My knitters, all but one, are voluntary, and many of them working women; they are keen to help, and do splendid work, the blind knitter, to whom I alluded before, having now completed 200 pairs of socks.  May I earnestly appeal for more funds to carry on this most necessary work?  Wool is getting dearer and dearer.  I have the chance to procure a large quantity of excellent wool at a moderate price if only funds are forthcoming at once.  The worst weather is still to come, and socks will be needed in ever-increasing quantities.
I am, Sir, yours faithfully,
EVELYN TEMPLETOWN.
10, Onslow-crescent, S.W.7, Jan 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment